6 Reduce child mortality
Where we are?
- By 2010, Uganda had reduced infant mortality by over 50 percent
Indicators of child health and mortality show mixed progress over the past decade and acceleration is required to reach the target for reduction in child mortality. The under-five mortality rate has fallen from 156 per 1,000 live births in 1995 to 152 in 2001 and further to 137 in 2006. The infant mortality rate, which measures deaths among children younger than 1 year of age, rose between 1995 and 2001, from 81 to 88 per 1,000 live births, and fell again to 76 in 2006.
Also, mortality levels are much higher in rural areas than in urban areas. Kampala has the lowest level of mortality compared to the north, West Nile and southwest, which have the highest levels. The inequality in child health outcomes is also clear across different wealth categories. The levels of both infant and child mortality are about 40% lower in the wealthiest 20% of households in Uganda compared to the poorest 20%. However, the gap between the wealthiest and poorest households has narrowed in recent years despite the fact that the gap remains wide relative to the MDG target. Hence, it is a key priority of the Government of Uganda to sustain and accelerate attainment of MDG 4, especially among the poorest.
The proportion of 1-year-old children immunized against measles declined between 1995 and 2001 from 82% to 63%. Following implementation of the 2001-2005 immunization revitalization strategic plan, measles immunization rose again in 2006 to 89%. The same pattern is evident in the provision of DPT3 vaccines, a combination of vaccines against three infectious diseases: diphtheria, pertussis (whopping cough) and tetanus. In 2009, the measles immunisation rate was 81%, which is below the 90% national target.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG4
- Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
- Under-five mortality rate
- Infant mortality rate
- Proportion of 1 year-old children immunised against measles