Improving policies and strategies for sustainable environment, natural resources and climate risk management project
What is the project about?
This project aims to contribute to strengthening of national capacity for policy implementation through review and/ or development of policies and strategies for environment natural resources (ENR) and climate risk management (CRM) polices and strategies.
The project has 3 outputs namely;
- National Environment and Natural Resources Management Policy reviewed and updated,
- Strategies for Environment and Natural Resources such as Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) regulations and guidelines reviewed to mainstream health and social issues (HIV) into capital projects, national biomass energy strategy and electronic waste management strategy developed and,
- Institutional coordination for ENRM and Climate Risk Management activities strengthened.
The project is implemented by the Ministry of Water and Environment in collaboration with the National Environment Management Authority, The Department of Disaster Preparedness and Management in the Office of the Prime Minister, Renewable Energy Department in the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development, Ministry of Information, Communication and Technology and Advocates Coalition for Development and Environment (ACODE).
So far, the project has;
- Completed the evaluation of the national environment policy, results from the evaluation are being used to review and update the environment policy.
- Work on a draft national biomass energy policy is being finalised as part of the strategy to improve biomass energy sector management.
- Additionally, work on an electronic waste management strategy has started.
Who finances it?
The project is fully funded to a tune of USD 1,450,000 by UNDP Core resources for duration of 4 years starting 2011 to 2014.