Strengthening Oversight Functions for Accountable Service Delivery
What is the project about?
Uganda has had its fair share of high profile corruption cases in public office, an act that undermines some of the core functions of leadership, especially service delivery. The Strengthening Oversight Functions for Accountable Service Delivery project works for the creation and strengthening of existing accountability mechanisms as a way of ensuring that public offices deliver services to the people, as per their mandate.
The project focuses on enhancing the capacity of selected oversight entities, for example, Parliament and Civil Society, to deliver on their mandate as well as enhancing the demand side of accountability. It supports oversight reporting on service delivery and improving quality of oversight reports, establishing a collaborative framework among national oversight entities to improve monitoring of service delivery strengthened and; nurturing participation and input of the public through CSOs to demand for oversight in service delivery.
The project is implemented by Parliament, in collaboration with the National Planning Authority and National Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO) Forum).
The project's objectives are to;
- Support oversight reporting on service delivery and improve quality of oversight reports by National Planning Authority.
- Strengthen a functional collaborative framework among national oversight entities to improve monitoring of service delivery.
- Strengthen participation and input of the public through CSOs to demand for oversight in service delivery.
Already, the project has;
- Trained the staff at Parliament in various aspects of Public Finance Management and research approaches while the Parliamentary Public Outreach programmes have been conducted in four regions covering over 100 districts in Uganda.
- Conducted a study to identify and assess national and institutional requirements for oversight monitoring in Uganda and in addition the National Development Plan (NDP) was developed printed and disseminated in over 55 districts.
- Prepared an Audit Committee Handbook and Manual to guide the work of those doing institutional monitoring work and improved accountability at Parliament.
- Supported Civil Society Organisations to demand for oversight in service delivery.
Who finances it?
The four year project's budget is USD 4,650,000
- Start Date:
- Estimated End Date:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Focus Area:
- Democratic Governance
- Project Officer:
- Annet Mpabulungi - Wakabi
- Government of Uganda, National NGO Forum