Strengthening Sustainable Environment and Natural Resource Management, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation in Uganda project
What is the project about
This project is aimed at strengthening efforts of Government of Uganda by enhancing sustainable conservation and utilization of natural resources and climate change adaptation and mitigation, strengthen the capacities of institutions (government and Civil Society Organisations) to undertake sustainable environment and natural resources actions aimed at;
- Biodiversity Conservation and Restoration of Degraded Ecosystems,
- Scaling-up successful SLM models and approaches, (iii) Enhancing Efficient Utilization of Biomass Energy, Renewable Energy Technologies (RET), and reduction in GHG emissions and
- Promoting Climate Change Resilient Development.
The project is implemented by World Wildlife Fund (WWF) in collaboration with the Ministry of Water and Environment, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, UNDP Small Grants Scheme and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
The project's accomplishements include;
- Two demonstration nurseries have been established (one in Kasese and another in Mitooma) as a trial model for propagation of selected threatened tree species. 30,000 seedlings raised in Kasese nursery and 20,000 raised in Mitooma and all were planted resulting in restoration of 75 hectares and 50 hectares respectively in the two districts in order to reduce on degradation. The planted areas are Maliba, Bugoye and Kitholhu in Kasese and Kabira & Kanyabwanga in Mitooma district
- Two institutional biogas digesters have been constructed, one in Butiru Christian School in Manafwa district and another in Karambi Secondary School, Kasese district. The biogas plant in Butiru is currently being for lighting and to prepare meals for the staff with plans to expand to the entire school.
- Four community based organisations have been supported to produce charcoal briquettes. These include Community Transformation Initiatives (COTRI), Kitaasa, Kavumba, Kyebando Environmental Organisation (KEEPS)- and one CBO (Wakiso parish youth group) produce interlocking bricks in Wakiso district.
Who finances it?
The project, which has a 4 year duration (2011-2014) has a total budget worth US$ 4,695,000 out of which US$ 4,500,000 is funded by UNDP Core resources.
- Project Start Date
- Estimated Start Date
- Geographic Coverage
- Focus Area
- Energy & Environment
- MDG 7
- Project Officer
- Daniel Mcmondo Omodo
- Government of Uganda, UNDP SGP, World Wildlife Fund (WWF), International Union for Conservation of Nature(IUCN)