UNDP and the UN System
UNDP plays a significant co-ordination role for the UN’s activities in the field of development. The UNDP Resident Representative also doubles as the Resident Coordinator and the UN Coordination is mainly executed through her office.
The RC also heads the United Nations Country Team (UNCT). The UNCT is a team made up of the different agency heads which ensures interagency coordination and decision making at the country level. The main purpose of the UNCT is for individual agencies to plan and work together, as part of the Resident Coordinator system, to ensure the delivery of tangible results in support of the development agenda of the Government. The UNCT once every month and makes decisions through a consultative process.
As the agency that houses and supports the Resident Coordinator system, UNDP believes strongly in making the UN in Uganda a more relevant, responsive and results-oriented organization, particularly through the Delivering as One initiative.
One of the areas UNDP provides supports to UNCT as a lead agency is the overall management and coordination of the common services for some of the UN agencies.
The Resident Coordinator’s office has also been promoting the Delivering as One initiative through encouraging various agencies to work together and meet more often to share ideas at Town hall meetings and an SMS platform system to discuss how we can all work as one.
UN agencies in the country
Provide links to the UN site in the country and all UN programmes and Agencies that are part of the UN country team.
UN Agencies in Uganda;
- UN Resident Coordinator's Office
- Food and Agricultural Organization ( FAO)
- Office of the High Commission for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- United Nations Children's Fund(UNICEF-Uganda)
- UN Women
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees( UNHCR)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
- World Health Organisation ( WHO)
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT)
- United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO)
- United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
- World Bank
- Regional Service Centre, Entebbe
- International Labour Organisation (ILO)
- United Nations Environmental Programme(UNEP)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
- International Atomic Energy Agency ( IAEA)